Itemize is a fintech business automation company that organizes and routes B2B payments data between companies and their systems. The B2B Payments AI Data Exchange leverages automation technologies, such as Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Computer Vision, and APIs to acquire, enhance, reconcile, and route data for business payments and financial workflows. Recognized by Gartner as a top provider in the field, Itemize drives processing transformation for a range of leading clients in financial services, including credit cards, tax preparation, accounting software, enterprise resource planning, and expense management. The Itemize data exchange supports users in over 30 countries and numerous languages.
About The Role
You will be working within the Data Science Team at Itemize, where we focus on improving the accuracy of our machine learning (ML) algorithms and data quality within our databases. The internship focuses on four main facets of Data Analytics:
- Data Wrangling – Conducting ad-hoc data cleanup projects to improve the quality of information in several Itemize databases. These projects typically require querying/analysis within SQL (joins, aggregate functions, subqueries, where clauses) and analysis/parsing within Excel (vlookup, index/match, text analysis).
- BI Tool Support – Communicating to the Data Science Team changes in KPIs, identifying new KPIs we can measure, and analyzing and understanding the causes for changes in our KPIs.
- Quality Assurance (QA) – Vetting and validating data that is generated by our ML tools and manual review through our Data Audit interface to ensure a high degree of data integrity. Identifying shortfalls for data integrity and discovering solutions for improvement.
- ML Training – Using our internal platform for training our ML tools to better identify and itemize values for receipts from specific merchants. Testing trained ML templates to guarantee their effectiveness.
Through your internship, you will be able to work directly with Data Analysts, Data Scientists, and members of the Management Team to grow your knowledge base about how you can use data and database tools for real-world applications. Refine your parsing abilities in Excel and your querying/reporting skills in SQL.
Required Skills & Experience
Although we expect for you to learn more about data parsing, aggregation, and analysis through the course of your internship, the ideal candidate will fit the following criteria:
- Intermediate to Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel (if statements, vlookup, index/match, data tools, text analysis formulas, etc.)
- Intermediate knowledge of SQL (aggregate functions, group by statements, where clauses, subqueries)
- Earned a degree in, or is currently pursuing one in, Engineering, Business Administration, Computer Science, Economics, Math, Statistics, Philosophy, and other related fields
- Out of the box thinking and ability to make strong inferences from little information
- Keen attention to detail, a strong work ethic, and a great attitude
- Ability to adopt new concepts quickly and learn from and admit to your mistakes
This is a paid on-site internship that requires you to be able to commit at least 20 hours during the hours of 8:30am-6pm Monday-Friday in our Midtown office.